Wednesday 4 April 2007

Dresden



Got up early (well ish) and set our sights for Prague via Dresden. A mere two hours on the autobahn and we arrive at Dresden, driving into town we find an empty parking spot right outside the Zwinger Palace. Our plan is to have a look around, pop into the FrauenKirche and then head off to Prague.
The Zwinger Palace is lovely, as is the rebuilt FrauenKirche (the original was destroyed by the Brits during the carpet bombing of Dresden). In the town square we stop off for a beer and a piece of cake (I wish I understood German as the cake I ordered was simply enormous and made almost entirely of sugar), and then return to the car...But it is gone...
We spent the next hour trying to find someone who can help and eventually find the police station who thankfully told us that that they did not have the car, and that it has not been stolen but removed as it was parked wrongly. I never thought that I would be glad to have my car towed. A short taxi ride and a lot of cash and we are back on the road.

No comments: